In 1958 St. Zosima Candles was founded as a fund-raising means with the blessing of His Grace Metropolitan Anastassy so that the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad would be self-sufficient and would not have to depend on outside, secular, sources for income.
For several years the factory was located in Synodal building itself of the Russian Church Abroad on E 93rd St. in Manhattan. In an effort to streamline business overhead the factory was moved to Glen Cove NY for a short period. .
In 1985 the factory was moved to Mahopac NY. Mahopac is the location of the Kursk Root Hermitage. It was the summer "residence" of Metropolitan Philaret. Even though the Hermitage began as a monastic community, it functions today as a full-time parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia. St. Zosima Candle Supply is located on the grounds of the Hermitage and employs members of the parish and the community in full and part-time work for the factory.
All administrative functions, marketing and correspondance are still conducted through the Factory Office in Manhattan.